Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Who you are.

You keep inviting me in
and tempt me to lecture on the topic of how bad you are
But I have no authority there
I know so little about the subject.
I am cautious to dive headfirst into such murky expansiveness
Unwilling to never take another breath.
I am trying to avoid those dark creatures of depth
dangling pretend morsels, inviting the unsuspecting
To perish between their teeth
I am trying to ignore those unforgiving tides
who strangle those who forget to swim
whose coral points are stained red.
I am trying to resist being swept downstream
A leaf in a storm drain
lungs paralysed, stretched for air.
Instead, I tip-toe around the puddles that have escaped
pooling into the cracks around my feet.
Maybe I will tie a rope around my neck
Wade waist deep
Dive under
and wait
For the unavoidable numb.

I have never loved the water as I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment